When trying to sell a product or service you could either tell your prospect how great it is or you could tell them a true story of how it improved someone’s life or business.
Lets take a tech company for an example, the salesperson could either say our software increases productivity or they could share the story of one of their past clients who after implementing their system reduced workload by X and saved the company Y.
An insurance agent could share how having insurance allowed 1 family to get their loved one the best treatment available and gave them the financial freedom to spend valuable time with them when they needed it.
It’s easy to see which would be more affective.
Stories are too often overlooked as a powerful selling tool. Dr. Howard Gardner says it best “Stories constitute the single most powerful weapon in a leader’s arsenal.”
I invite you and your team to think about what stories can be used to demonstrate the value proposition of your product or service. Sit together at a team meeting and have everyone share stories and examples they share with their customers. I’m sure everyone will walk away with several stories they can start using when demonstrating your product or service to prospects.
This is exactly what I did while I was delivering sales training for a company in Singapore the other week. I asked them to incorporate stories and examples when trying to get buy in whether it’s from their peers or from customers.
I hope you will start using stories more effectively in your sales presentations.
To learn more about our sales training programmes, drop us an email and we’ll be happy to set up a time to chat to see how we might be able to help your team reach new heights together.
- Tom Abbott is the author of 'The SOHO Solution' and 'Social Selling' and the creator of the online sales training platform SOCO Academy. Sales leaders engage Tom for his proven solutions to building high performance sales teams that exceed targets and for motivational keynotes that energise their audiences.
- Sales Infographics and Quote Images2020.06.038 Ways To Build A High Performance Team
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.06.02Adapting To The New Normal In Sales with Steve Benson
- Sales Skills2020.05.01Solution Selling – Essential Steps of the Solution Selling Process
- Sales Skills2020.04.30How To Sell During a Recession