I get asked this question a lot: My team’s not hitting targets. What do I do? Here’s my answer:
My team’s not hitting targets, what do I do? That’s a question I got asked the other day by a sales leader I work with. She tells me the team is not making as many calls as they should be and they’re not as responsive to new enquiries as they need to be.
I tell them you need to start by setting goals. Many of the teams I work with have monthly, quarterly or yearly sales targets but not all of them have targets around the output. As in, what do they need to do to achieve their targets?
I recommend setting daily, weekly and monthly goals. Give them goals around how many calls they need to make each day, how many appointments they need to book and how many times they need to follow up with customers. You need to find out what it takes for them to reach their targets, then break it down into more manageable daily, weekly and monthly targets.
But setting targets is one thing, you also need to follow up with them to see if they’re hitting their output targets or not If you don’t follow up, nothing is going to happen. I recommend using a tool like a CRM to track their efforts, then you as the sales manager need to follow up with them to praise them for reaching their output goals or find out why they aren’t.
Which brings me to my next tip, you need to identify why they aren’t reaching their set goals. It’s not enough to set a goal then demand it be met, check-in with them to see how they’re doing. Find out if something is holding them back or getting in their way. Find out how you can help them reach their targets.
Individual targets are great, you being a supportive leader is great, now you need to build a team environment. When a team is supportive of each other and works towards team goals and not just individual goals, your job gets easier. The team starts to collaborate, they share best practices and everyone helps everyone get better.
- Tom Abbott is the author of 'The SOHO Solution' and 'Social Selling' and the creator of the online sales training platform SOCO Academy. Sales leaders engage Tom for his proven solutions to building high performance sales teams that exceed targets and for motivational keynotes that energise their audiences.
- Sales Training Videos2019.11.14Qualify Your Leads Using BANT
- Selling in Asia Podcast2019.11.12How to Build an Outbound Sales Team with Collin Stewart from Predictable Revenue
- Sales Training Videos2019.11.08Don’t Use Price To Differentiate
- Sales Force Management2019.11.07How To Help Your Team Reach Targets