Here are five reasons you can’t close the sale:
Your attitude. You didn’t have the right mindset to close that deal. You walked in to that meeting, you weren’t confident, you weren’t prepared, you weren’t ready, you didn’t have a belief in your product. You just didn’t have the right attitude.
You didn’t qualify this lead well enough. You weren’t clear about the budget. Could they even afford the solution? You were probably even talking to the wrong person. This was a gatekeeper, not a decision-maker. To be honest with you, you probably didn’t find out if they actually had a burning, urgent, pressing need for your product. Bad qualification.
Not Able to Differentiate
Another reason why you’re not closing last week’s deal: You couldn’t differentiate yourself from the competition. You weren’t able to communicate your USP. What makes you better and different than the competition? Why you? Why should they choose you over everybody else? Chances are you don’t know the answer and they don’t know the answer.
Inadequate Closing Skills
You can’t close. Your closing skills aren’t working, you’re not able to answer objections effectively, and your consultative selling skills, horrible. You’re pitching products and services and you don’t really understand what they’re looking for. So, you’re not matching your solution to what they need.
Fifth and perhaps the most important reason why you’re not closing that deal: you didn’t have a relationship with that customer. Maybe you sold to them in the past and they were a “key account,” but you didn’t treat them like a key account. In fact, you probably only talk to them once a year when it’s time to renew the contract. Guess what? When you followed up with them last week, they were already thinking, “You know what? I haven’t heard from you in a year. We’re going with someone else that treated us well throughout the year.”
Need help mastering all 5 skills? Start learning inside SOCO Academy.
- Tom Abbott is the author of 'The SOHO Solution' and 'Social Selling' and the creator of the online sales training platform SOCO Academy. Sales leaders engage Tom for his proven solutions to building high performance sales teams that exceed targets and for motivational keynotes that energise their audiences.
- Sales Training Videos2020.10.19Making Your Virtual Presentations Memorable
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.09.29Leading and Managing in 2020 and Beyond with Andrew Bryant
- Sales Force Management2020.09.18How To Build A High-Performing Sales Team
- Sales Skills2020.09.15Glossary of Sales Terms – The Ultimate Sales Encyclopedia