You need to take care of your current and past customers. We all know this, but it’s easy to forget when you’re busy concentrating on new business. So now is the time to focus on keeping your best customers happy and delivering lots of value.
This seems obvious but it’s so easy to get so distracted with new customers, that you forget about past ones. With the slowdown, creeping into a recession, now is the perfect time to check in with your customers.
Give them a call, drop them an email or send them a Whatsapp message. Whatever it takes but check in with them and see how they’re doing.
For example, if you’re in software sales, check in with them to find out if there’s any features that they’re struggling with or they need some help with… and then actually help them with it.
If you’re a real estate agent, find out if they’re enjoying their property. Are they happy in their new home?
If you’re in events or room sales? Check in with your big customers and see whether they enjoyed the event you hosted.
You know where I’m going with this. Be sure to check in your customers to find how it’s going with your solution. Whether it’s an ongoing project or something that you completed already.
Now, I get some people saying to me: “Ok, Tom. But what if my phone call or email uncovers some issues or problems?” Well, I say: “That’s actually really good, you want to know about these issues, so you can help them with it.” Because if you don’t uncover these issues they’ll fester and get worse and you’ll be left wondering why they don’t renew or buy from you ever again.
I also recommend coming bearing gifts whenever possible. Whether it’s a tip that you can offer around your solution, or a book or magazine or an article. Anything you thought they might enjoy. Anything of value to them.
It’s doesn’t have to be anything big but it needs to be something to show that you care. This should be something that you do on a regular basis anyway but I know a lot of you get busy, so I hope that you take the time now to check in with your past customers.
I’m going to challenge all of you here.
I’m going to challenge you to follow up with three of your best past customers and I’d like to hear from you just to find out: did you follow up with them and how did it go.
P.S. Hi from Kuala Lumpur!
- Tom Abbott is the author of 'The SOHO Solution' and 'Social Selling' and the creator of the online sales training platform SOCO Academy. Sales leaders engage Tom for his proven solutions to building high performance sales teams that exceed targets and for motivational keynotes that energise their audiences.
- Sales Force Management2020.09.18How To Build A High-Performing Sales Team
- Sales Skills2020.09.15Glossary of Sales Terms – The Ultimate Sales Encyclopedia
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.09.15Marshall Goldsmith’s 6 Question Coaching Process
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.09.01Delivering Highly Engaging Virtual Sales Presentations with Spencer Waldron From Prezi