I get asked this all the time from sales leaders I work with: how do I motivate my team? They tell me the team seems demoralised and some of them might be looking for new jobs. What can I do?
I tell them to start by focusing on why their team and the company are important.
Sure lots of people are motivated by money, but what motivates people, even more, is working towards a common goal or a common mission. They need to know what they do matters and that they’re making a difference.
If you’re in insurance, making sure families have insurance so they don’t end up homeless if a family member gets sick is important! If you sell a CRM solution, saving people time and the frustration of losing data is important! If you’re in logistics, making sure supplies get to customers on time, is important! Everything everyone sells (mostly) is important. It makes a difference in someone’s life which is why that business exists in the first place. Make sure they remember that.
Always share testimonials from happy customers. If a customer drops you an email saying ‘Thanks for your help, I can now do x much faster which means less overtime and more time with my family,’ share that! Nothing makes someone feel better than knowing their product or service made a difference. This builds pride in employees.
Make sure every team member knows they’re helping the organisation. They need to know when they hit targets the company has more money to fund entry into a new market so they can help more people. When they get back to customers quickly, our referral rates go up. When they answer the phone with energy, complaints go down. Whatever it is, when they do their job well it results in a positive impact on them, their coworkers and the company. Share that with them.
Lastly, make sure you know what their ‘WHY’ is! You need to know what motivates them, so you can help them reach their goals, so they can help the company reach theirs.
- Tom Abbott is the author of 'The SOHO Solution' and 'Social Selling' and the creator of the online sales training platform SOCO Academy. Sales leaders engage Tom for his proven solutions to building high performance sales teams that exceed targets and for motivational keynotes that energise their audiences.
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.01.21How To Prospect Like An MDRT Achiever
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.01.14It’s Not A Marketing Issue, It’s A Sales Issue
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.01.07What It Takes To Succeed In Sales with Jim Cathcart
- Selling in Asia Podcast2019.12.31Quick Tip: Why it’s Easier To Sell Something That’s Expensive