Attitude and mindset go a long way when building a high-performing team.
When the attitude and potential are there… but the results aren’t YET… train them, teach them, mentor them.
If the right attitude isn’t there… you know what to do…
Here’s an excerpt from the Q&A of a virtual keynote I did recently. An audience member asked me how to manage underperforming staff.
Here’s my response.
On any team you’re always going to have people that are producing well and then some that are not producing. That’s very very common. You’re always going to have a situation like that. Your number one job is to look at, okay, I need to keep supporting the top producers and because those top producers, don’t need much help, you give them a little bit and they do a lot because they’re so talented, they’re so skilled.
Some of the lower producers they need a bit more help and it’s a bit harder. So your number one job is to realise do they have potential? If they have the potential and they have the right attitude, well then you can teach them, coach them and give them the aptitude.
But if they don’t have the right attitude and you don’t think they have the potential you got to let them go. You’re building a team and you want to have the best people on your team so make sure that you’re seeking out what are the qualities you’re looking for, for contributors on your team and start attracting those people, it’s not just the skill set, it’s the mindset.
Btw, we’ve just added a brand new ‘Managing Virtually’ course to our Management Mastery pack. So whether you’re managing an all remote team, a hybrid or a team that’s all in the office, this course will help you manage your team during these unprecedented times.
- Tom Abbott is the author of 'The SOHO Solution' and 'Social Selling' and the creator of the online sales training platform SOCO Academy. Sales leaders engage Tom for his proven solutions to building high performance sales teams that exceed targets and for motivational keynotes that energise their audiences.
- Sales Training Videos2020.10.19Making Your Virtual Presentations Memorable
- Selling in Asia Podcast2020.09.29Leading and Managing in 2020 and Beyond with Andrew Bryant
- Sales Force Management2020.09.18How To Build A High-Performing Sales Team
- Sales Skills2020.09.15Glossary of Sales Terms – The Ultimate Sales Encyclopedia